Friday, October 2, 2009

Today is His Birthday

Today is my dad’s 51st birthday. The problem? He was murdered back in December. At least it is a half-day at school today. I don’t know what I would have done had I needed to be at school from 5:30 in the morning until at least 5:30 at night plus performing at the football game later that night. Fortunately for the half day, I’m get out of school today at 11:15. All I have is swim practice at 3:00, and then I’m done for the night.

I’m going to lunch with my aunt (my dad’s sister) soon. Does she remember what day it is today? Does she know she’s eating out with me on his birthday? Or did it just happen to fit into both our schedules for today, October 2? Has my cousin (her daughter and someone I look up to) told her how this whole thing has affected me? Does she know? I guess I’ll just wait and find out.

I’m so out of it already today – nothing makes sense like it should. I already have a splitting headache. No one understands why I’m in such a bad mood, even after I explain it. They haven’t lost a parent. Not this in way at least – not to murder.

Read the most exact story of my dad’s murder that I can find and watch the news report and read the follow-up

((I thought of the title for this post from a song by Sugarland. “Today is my birthday, and all that I want, is to sit with this big box of pictures ‘til the daylight’s gone.” That’s exactly what I want to do today. No, it’s not my birthday, but it’s my childhood hero’s, my daddy’s. I want to go through all those old pictures and bring to mind all the memories that my dad and I shared.))

No comments:

Post a Comment