Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rant #1

So I went online Sunday night to find that a friend of mine sent me a message including a link to an article by one of our local news centers in town about the trial I’ve been waiting to attend for ten months now, and will have to wait at least three more for. I clicked on the link, read the article, and was outraged. There were four mistakes in the three paragraph article. The day of the week the pre-trial occurred on was incorrect, as well as a few other things.

I called my aunt a few minutes later and we spent about fifteen minutes ranting and raving. I got off the phone and turned back to my computer. I sent a calm and sophisticated email to the news station. I signed it, hit send, and ranted some more to a few of my friends that were online at the time.

The thing is this: I don’t understand why this bothered me so much. Yes, these mistakes would have been corrected of the writer had spent the time to read over the article before submitting it, but I just don’t understand why it bothered me so much. This is definitely not the first mistake the press has made with this case. Nor will it be the last. So why did this stupid little mistake bother me so much? I’m not sure. But I sure hope they announce their mistake and fix it. Or else that will be the nicest email they ever receive from me…


“To those people [the press], its just names and dates and numbers. Basically nothing. But to people like us, it’s our life.”
–Theresa Chandler

My friend Theresa told me this after I ranted to her about this little problem that was bothering me so much. She lost her boyfriend awhile back, so she knows what the press is like in situations like mine. Without people like Theresa, I’m not sure what I’d do to get through this whole ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment