Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What is True Love?

What is true love? The actual definition is “a truly loving or loved person”. To me, this seems very vague for something that means so much to young girls and guys alike.

I sat down and asked myself today if my current boyfriend is in fact my one true love. Yes, I’m only sixteen years old, but I can still wonder. Those stupid Facebook tests that people take mean nothing. They don’t know who we are and what the young couple shares. They don’t know the mutual feelings we share. They just know that if a person responds “a” to a question, that they’re truly in love. It’s not a true test. Is there such thing?
This mediocre definition doesn’t tell me what true love really is. It doesn’t tell me the qualifications for a “good man” or a “future husband.” This is the definition that everyone wants, but never gets.

He makes me feel like a princess, something Holly², a good friend of mine, has told me millions of times needs to happen.
I don’t have to play the part of someone I’m not. I’m myself and he likes me that way. I don’t have to fake how I feel and I don’t have to fake my mood for his approval. He approves no matter what kind of mood I’m in, no matter how I dress; no matter what.
He tells me I look beautiful in sweat pants and a sweatshirt, my hair in a ponytail, and my eyes black from makeup I forgot to remove from the day before.
He gets up over three hours early each day just to tell me, “good morning” and he stays up even later just to whisper, “good night” into my ear over the phone, just loud enough so that I can hear it, but his parents can’t.

So what is true love? What makes a relationship eligible for such a label? And what are the credentials, the mind-set needed to call it that?


² Name has been changed
Definition from www.dictionary.com

No comments:

Post a Comment